``I really thought they were going to kill me,'' Rochefort St.-Louis, head of a government body collection team, told The Miami Herald after he was eventually freed Saturday.
St.-Louis, 30, said he kept working after attack, taking 13 corpses to a mass grave near the city of Cabaret.
``I was afraid to lose the job,'' he said. ``This is my first job.''
St.-Louis and his team had already picked up one body when they entered a neighborhood in Carrefour. Three foreign photojournalists and their driver were following to document the work on film.
``Residents confronted the truck with the body and said we don't want your cholera here,'' said Lee Celano, a freelance photographer. He was hurt by glass shards when the crowd broke the car's windows.
"It just shows how there is a strong amount of paranoia over cholera here and how they are completely irrational about it,'' he said.
2014: NFL Cheerleaders [PHOTOS]