UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Poland: Exiled Chechen leader faces arrest

|
 
Published: Sept. 15, 2010 at 2:29 PM

WARSAW, Poland, Sept. 15 (UPI) -- Poland said no arrest warrant has been issued for an exiled Chechen separatist, but the leader will be arrested if he visits Warsaw for a Chechen gathering.

The Polish Prosecutor General's Office said no warrant is out for the arrest of Akhmed Zakayev, but he will be taken into custody if he attempts to attend the Sept. 16-18 World Congress of Chechen people in Warsaw, which organizers have invited the exiled leader to attend, RIA Novosti reported Wednesday.

The office denied a Polish police spokesman's earlier statement that an arrest warrant had been issued for Zakayev.

"This information was false. The Polish prosecutor's office has not issued an additional arrest warrant against Akhmed Zakayev because there is no case against him in Poland," Prosecutor General's Office spokesman Mateusz Martyniuk said.

Martyniuk said Zakayev, who bills himself as the prime minister of the self-styled Chechen republic of Ichkeria, will still be arrested if he is spotted in Warsaw.

Zakayev was granted political asylum by British authorities in 2002 and currently resides in London. Russia issued an arrest warrant for the leader in 2001, accusing him of terrorist activities.

Topics: Akhmed Zakayev
© 2010 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
Immigration rally in Washington, D.C. MTV Movie Awards Cherry Blossoms in Washington, D.C.
Miss NY USA crowns ASPCA King and Queen Academy of American Country Music Awards 2013: Celebrity break ups and divorces
Additional World News Stories
1 of 20
Prince Harry arrives on Capitol Hill in Washington
View Caption
Prince Harry arrives on Capitol Hill to tour a photography exhibit by HALO Trust, a British nonprofit focused on removing hazardous war debris, including un-exploded devices and landmines, on May 9, 2013 in Washington, D.C. UPI/Kevin Dietsch
fark
A man probably had a brief moment of joy when he gave the slip to the sheriff's deputy chasing him....
Giant 50-foot magnet makes cross-country trek, as well as quite an attraction
Florida restaurant pulls controversial lion tacos off the menu after huge uproar
Photoshop this red army
Celebrities without teeth. Yes, it is a slideshow. Yes, subby is going to floss now
I-81 closed for several days in Harrisburg, PA after Gov. Corbett forgets to disable disasters on...