facebook
twitter
search
search

Escaped California inmate surrenders after 8-day manhunt, 2 others still at large

By Doug G. Ware   |   Updated Jan. 29, 2016 at 8:02 PM

SANTA ANA, Calif., Jan. 29 (UPI) -- One of three inmates who escaped from a Southern California jail a week ago -- and triggered a large police manhunt -- surrendered to authorities Friday, officials said.

Bac Duong, 43, turned himself in to police in Santa Ana Friday morning, authorities said.

The other two escapees, though, remain at large.

Immediately before the surrender, police were seen in the area wearing body armor with guns drawn, the Los Angeles Times reported. Officials said Duong was present at the location, an auto shop, and said he wanted to surrender.

"I feel good for him because he did the right thing," Tri Nguyen, a friend of the shop's owner and acquaintance of Duong's, said. "He doesn't have to run around anymore."

The surrender occurred one day after a jail employee was arrested and suspected of aiding in the prisoners' escapes. Nooshafarin Ravaghi, 44, a teacher at the jail, faces charges of being an accessory in the jailbreak.

Hossein Nayeri and Jonathan Tieu are the other two escapees still at large. All three had been in jail awaiting trial on violent crimes. Duong is accused in an attempted homicide in November.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines