According to the local school district, the Pearland High School marching band was practicing outside at roughly 8 a.m. Thursday when a Brazoria County Mosquito Control District flew overhead spraying pesticide on the unassuming teens.
"It was pretty much right over us," Pearland band member Karleigh Fletcher told KHOU.
"I was just surprised, if it was really pesticide, why would they be doing it over 300 kids?"
Medical teams were called to the scene and students were sent home and told to shower for 25 minutes, change into clean clothes and wash their instruments.
"It was a freak accident," Pearland principal Larry Berger said. "They didn't know we were here and we didn't know they were coming."
Although no serious injuries were reported, some students complained of coughing, rashes and sneezing. The school district says the pesticide is not harmful if properly washed off.
The pilot says he never saw the students.