BARTONVILLE, Ill., July 29 (UPI) -- An Illinois woman died after she reportedly ran back into a fire on Tuesday morning so she could retrieve her cellphone.
The 44-year-old had gotten out of the Bartonville home, but went back in to get the digital device.
Police officers attempted to get the woman out of the home, but the smoke was overpowering. When firefighters arrived, they were able retrieve her, but it was too late. She was taken to OSF Saint Francis Medical Center and pronounced dead.
The victim has been identified as Wendy Rybolt. Her daughter was able to escape to safety.
"Material things can be replaced. You never want to go back in to retrieve anything. In this, there was heavy smoke. Carbon monoxide will get you, and you may not even know it," Chief Brian Fengel of the Bartonville Police Department told WEEK.
An officer received treatment at OSF for smoke inhalation.