CONWAY, N.H., July 29 (UPI) -- The man charged with kidnapping a New Hampshire teenager as she walked home from school attended the same high school in the 1990s, records show.
Nathaniel Kibby, 34, did not graduate from Kennett High School in Conway. By 1999, when he should have received a diploma, he was banned from the school for assaulting a girl in his class, an attack that earned him a stint in a prison psychiatric unit, the Conway Daily Sun said.
Kibby appeared in court Tuesday in Conway and was ordered held on $1 million bail. He was arrested Monday at the trailer park where he lives in Gorham, N.H., 30 miles to the north in the midst of the White Mountains.
Abigail Hernandez vanished in October shortly before her 15th birthday. She reappeared last week at her family's home in Conway.
She was in court Tuesday.
Kibby is no stranger to the Conway courthouse. Last week, after Abigail resurfaced, he was fined more than $1,000 for criminal trespass -- a charge stemming from an alleged assault on a woman -- and in December he pleaded guilty to possession of marijuana and was fined $375.
Neighbors in the Gorham trailer park described him as a solitary man. Some said that he placed a "no trespassing" sign on a storage shed next to his trailer during some of the time Abigail was missing.
But residents wondered how Kibby could have kept the teenager prisoner there.
"I can't believe she was actually being held here. This place is busy -- there's people out," one said.