LANGHORNE, Pa., July 2 (UPI) -- A 72-year-old woman was sitting in her home on Sunday with her computer in her lap watching the Philadelphia Phillies play when she noticed a funny smell and heard a strange sound.
The next thing Loretta Luff knew, her 6-year-old Dell laptop had exploded.
"It blew up. It flipped my computer back and the battery pack and all came out this way," Luff told CBS Philly. "The next thing I knew, my shirt was on fire, I grabbed that and took that off and I think that's when I singed my hair."
Luff removed her shirt and used it to put out a fire on the rug and other small blazes that the explosion caused.
Firefighters arrived on the scene and got things under control, but Luff's desk, rug, shirt and even her dog's bed were all damaged. She was taken to the hospital and treated for chemical burns to her arm, chest, foot and face.
It is believed that the computer's battery pack exploded like a bomb.
"Dell places the highest priority on the evaluation and investigation of all safety and potential safety issues for the products that we and our suppliers produce," A Dell spokesperson said in a statement. "When Dell becomes aware of an incident, we handle it with the goals of assuring customer safety and a thorough failure analysis. Dell will take appropriate steps to investigate this incident."