CDC: 75 staff possibly exposed to anthrax at agency labs in Atlanta

The "risk of infection is very low," the agency said in a statement.
By Kate Stanton Follow @KateStan Contact the Author   |   June 19, 2014 at 8:13 PM

ATLANTA, June 19 (UPI) -- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Thursday that 75 Atlanta-based may have been accidentally exposed to anthrax bacteria.

The agency said that the lab in question failed to follow correct procedures to inactivate samples of live Bacillus anthracis, also known as anthrax.

The samples were then moved by workers, thinking that the samples had been deactivated, who did not wear the proper protective equipment.

The CDC said in a statement that it had taken "aggressive steps to protect the health of all involved," though the potentially exposed staff have a "very low" risk of infection.

"The general public are not at risk of exposure and do not need to take any protective action," the agency said.

They've been given antibiotics as a precaution.

An investigation is under way to determine why staff did not follow proper procedures.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Duma approves construction of $4 billion bridge to Crimea
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev seeking new trial for Boston Marathon bombing
Shark bites Camp Lejeune Marine on North Carolina coast
Russian business magnate Alishar Usamanov makes bid to buy CTC
Widow of SKorea President Kim Dae-jung confirmed to visit Pyongyang