facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

CDC: 75 staff possibly exposed to anthrax at agency labs in Atlanta

The "risk of infection is very low," the agency said in a statement.
By Kate Stanton   |   June 19, 2014 at 8:13 PM   |   Comments

ATLANTA, June 19 (UPI) -- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Thursday that 75 Atlanta-based may have been accidentally exposed to anthrax bacteria.

The agency said that the lab in question failed to follow correct procedures to inactivate samples of live Bacillus anthracis, also known as anthrax.

The samples were then moved by workers, thinking that the samples had been deactivated, who did not wear the proper protective equipment.

The CDC said in a statement that it had taken "aggressive steps to protect the health of all involved," though the potentially exposed staff have a "very low" risk of infection.

"The general public are not at risk of exposure and do not need to take any protective action," the agency said.

They've been given antibiotics as a precaution.

An investigation is under way to determine why staff did not follow proper procedures.

Follow @KateStan and @UPI on Twitter.
Contact the Author
© 2014 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Most Popular
1
Source: Ferguson cop beaten before shooting
2
Boko Haram overruns Nigerian police academy
3
Robert Hansen, notorious Alaska serial killer, dead at 75
4
Brady Morton's body discovered three days after Port Huron Float Down
5
Federal judge strikes down Florida gay marriage ban
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback