facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Dunkin' Donuts customer detects carbon monoxide, prevents potential disaster

A Long Island medic wearing a carbon monoxide monitor alerted Dunkin' Donuts employees to high levels of carbon monoxide.
By Kate Stanton   |   June 3, 2014 at 4:57 AM   |   Comments

CARLE PLACE, N.Y., June 3 (UPI) -- Joseph Biundo, an EMT in Nassau County, N.Y., walked into a Carle Place Dunkin' Donuts franchise on Friday when his carbon monoxide detector sounded its alarm.

Biundo's detector showed dangerously high CO levels -- up to 80 parts per million in the kitchen area.

"I went outside, cleared it, went back in; it started going back up," Biundo told WINS.

Biundo evacuated the store and alerted fire officials, who discovered a problem with one of the kitchen's oven vents.

Biundo bought the detector himself for $200 when he heard about the death of a local restaurant manager, who died from carbon monoxide poisoning at a Legal Seafood in February.

Follow @KateStan and @UPI on Twitter.
Contact the Author
© 2014 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Most Popular
1
China questions Americanism in SATs
2
St. Paul police arrest a black man for sitting on a bench waiting for his children
3
Ukrainian cargo plane crashes in Algeria killing seven
4
'Old Ironsides' sails across Boston Harbor before 3-year-rehab
5
Video: Free Syrian Army unleashes 'Hell Cannon' in fight against Assad
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback