EVERETT, Wash., April 21 (UPI) -- The bodies of two more victims of the Washington State mudslide have been recovered, bringing the number of dead to 41, officials said Monday.
The Snohomish County Sheriff's Office reported last week that only four people were still listed as missing. Since the newly discovered bodies are likely to be on that list, the total number of dead is expected to stand at 43.
The coroner's office announced the discovery of two more bodies Monday morning and said neither had yet been identified.
A rain-soaked hillside over the North Fork of the Stillaguamish River gave way March 22, covering about a square mile on the outskirts of the village of Oso with mud.
The slide also blocked the river.
The sheriff's office, in a release last week, said a berm had been constructed that allowed an area where water had been trapped by the blockage to be drained. The search in that area is being conducted by rescue workers, not volunteers, because of the danger.
President Obama is scheduled to visit the site Tuesday, stopping off in Washington en route to Asia. Tuesday is also the end of a week of official mourning with flags at state office buildings flying at half-staff.