facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

3-alarm fire at Massachusetts wedding blamed on cigarette

A fire ripped through a historic events venue in Foxborough, Mass., on Saturday.
By Kate Stanton   |   April 6, 2014 at 6:25 PM   |   Comments

BOSTON, April 6 (UPI) -- Emergency officials in Foxborough, Mass., said a tossed cigarette was to blame for Saturday evening's three-alarm fire, which burned through Lakeview Pavilion, an 108-year-old events venue, during a wedding.

“It looks like a cigarette was thrown into some mulch and the fire erupted from there and spread to the building,” said Deputy Fire Chief Steven Bagley.

The fire erupted just after the ceremony.

"I had literally just pronounced them husband and wife, and they proceeded down the center aisle with the groomsmen and bridesmaids," Justice of the Peace Jerry Cibley said of the unidentified bride and groom.

No injuries were reported among the wedding party and guests, though the fire destroyed much of the venue.

“It’s an old building with an old wooden frame," Bagley added.

Lakeview Pavilion owners, the Kourtidis family, said in a statement on Sunday that they were "devastated" by the loss of their building.

[Boston Globe, WCVB]

Follow @KateStan and @UPI on Twitter.
Contact the Author
© 2014 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Most Popular
1
Medal of Honor to be awarded to Civil War soldier
2
Colombia releases notorious hitman 'Popeye'
3
Firing range instructor shot by 9-year-old girl dies
4
U.S. military jet crash lands in rural Virginia
5
Bodies of missing family found in Oregon lake
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback