facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

DEA official: 'Every parent' opposes marijuana legalization

The House Services committee held a hearing Tuesday to hear testimony about marijuana legalization.
By Aileen Graef   |   March 5, 2014 at 1:53 PM   |   Comments

Leer en Español
http://cdnph.upi.com/sv/em/upi/UPI-3741394042659/2014/1/0d25ebfb668479f44ee3c29514c5b5e5/DEA-official-Every-parent-opposes-marijuana-legalization.jpg
WASHINGTON, March 5 (UPI) -- DEA Deputy administrator Thomas Harrigan told the House Services committee that marijuana "destroys lives" and "insults our common values" in a hearing before a congressional committee.

"Marijuana destroys lives and families, undermines our economy, and insults our common values," Harrigan claimed in his testimony.

Rep. Steven Cohen, D-TN, didn't seem to think much of this argument: "You said it insults our common values. What is the value it insults?"

"From the bare minimum, as a parent, as a former educator, as a law enforcement official for all these years, I have seen the devastation that marijuana has caused not only on individuals, on families and communities," continued Harrigan.

Cohen pointed out that 55 percent of Americans favor legalization, and that some of that percentage must be parents unless the other 45 percent are really active. "I mean your statement that all parents are against this is ludicrous," Cohen said.

The percentage of people favoring marijuana legalization is the highest it has been in history following legalization in Washington state and Colorado, and the loosening of marijuana laws elsewhere.


[HuffPost Live]

Follow @AileenGraef and @UPI on Twitter.
Contact the Author
Topics: Marijuana
© 2014 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
California officer allegedly stole nude photos during arrest California officer allegedly stole nude photos during arrest
2
[UPDATE] Two Calif. deputies killed, two others shot [UPDATE] Two Calif. deputies killed, two others shot
3
California Marine dies in Islamic State mission in Iraq California Marine dies in Islamic State mission in Iraq
4
Lauren Hill's cancer won't stop teen from playing basketball Lauren Hill's cancer won't stop teen from playing basketball
5
Canada reflects on a week of domestic terror Canada reflects on a week of domestic terror
Trending News
Around the Web
x
Feedback