facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Veteran N.J. firefighter dies in fall through roof of burning building

Feb. 28, 2014 at 6:38 PM   |   Comments

WALLINGTON, N.J., Feb. 28 (UPI) -- A veteran New Jersey firefighter died early Friday when he fell through the roof of a burning building, officials said.

The fire broke out at Akasaka, a Japanese restaurant in Wallington, just after 1 a.m., WABC-TV, New York, reported.

Gregory Barnas, 57, who began working at the Wallington Fire Department in 1972 as a junior firefighter, was cutting a hole in the roof of the building when he fell and went into cardiac arrest.

Bergen County Prosecutor John Molinelli said two Barnas' sons are also firefighters and were at the scene when their father fell, the cable TV news channel News 12 New Jersey reported.

Molinelli said said investigators believed the fire was started by an electrical fixture in the kitchen of the restaurant.

WCBC-TV reported the flag at the Wallington firehouse was lowered to half-staff in memory of Barnas.

"It's a sad day, it's a tragic day," Wallington Fire Commissioner Mark Tomko said. "Our department and I know our community is mourning the loss and our hearts go out to the family."

© 2014 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
Prince Harry sweeps an adorable little girl off her feet at Invictus Games Prince Harry sweeps an adorable little girl off her feet at Invictus Games
2
Legal problems plagued family in Bell, Florida for years Legal problems plagued family in Bell, Florida for years
3
Russian bank boss feeling sanctions pain Russian bank boss feeling sanctions pain
4
Former Conn. Gov. John Rowland guilty of new charges Former Conn. Gov. John Rowland guilty of new charges
5
Police closing in on suspect in Pennsylvania state trooper killing Police closing in on suspect in Pennsylvania state trooper killing
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback