facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Family sues Petco, saying rat purchased there gave son fatal disease

Feb. 26, 2014 at 12:10 AM   |   Comments

SAN DIEGO, Feb. 26 (UPI) -- A San Diego family has sued Petco, charging their 10-year-old son died from rat bite fever contracted from a pet bought at the chain.

Aidan Pankey died at Rady Children's Hospital on June 11, 2013, U-T San Diego reported. That was just over two weeks after he and his grandmother purchased a rat at a Petco Animal Supplies Inc. store, the family said in a complaint filed Monday in San Diego.

The San Diego County medical examiner ruled that Aidan died of streptobacillus monliformis, commonly known as rat bite fever, the family said.

"The rat that killed Aidan appeared safe, but was in fact defective and dangerous and defendants failed to adequately warn of such dangers," the lawsuit said.

© 2014 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
Nurse Nina Pham declared free of Ebola, meets President Obama Nurse Nina Pham declared free of Ebola, meets President Obama
2
U.S. airstrikes succeeding in cutting oil financing for Islamic State U.S. airstrikes succeeding in cutting oil financing for Islamic State
3
Russian currency crashes Russian currency crashes
4
[UPDATE] Two Calif. deputies killed, two others shot [UPDATE] Two Calif. deputies killed, two others shot
5
Ottawa assault: PM went to closet, MPs made spears from flagpoles Ottawa assault: PM went to closet, MPs made spears from flagpoles
Trending News
Around the Web
x
Feedback