facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

30 children fall ill at Minnesota school, no carbon monoxide found

Feb. 6, 2014 at 11:23 PM   |   Comments

SPRINGFIELD, Minn., Feb. 6 (UPI) -- Thirty children fell ill at a Springfield, Minn., elementary school Thursday but no carbon monoxide -- as initially suspected -- was found, authorities said.

Kevin Burns, director of public affairs for Mayo Clinic Health System Springfield, said the 30 students were treated for nausea and headaches, the (New Ulm) Journal reported. All but one had been released by early evening, with the one child kept for observation, Burns said.

Springfield Fire Chief Charlie Baumann said a thorough check of the school building found no carbon monoxide as of 3:30 p.m. CST. He said officials planned to recheck the school again Friday morning before students and staff arrive.

Baumann said classes would likely start 2 hours late.

Springfield Police Chief John Nicholson told the newspaper the children became sick while rehearsing for a music program at the Springfield Public School auditorium. The children were fifth- and sixth-graders, he said.

Topics: Kevin Burns
© 2014 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Most Popular
1
U.S. Air Force orders more RQ-4 Global Hawks U.S. Air Force orders more RQ-4 Global Hawks
2
Kirsten Gillibrand: I don't know who called me 'porky' Kirsten Gillibrand: I don't know who called me 'porky'
3
Plane crash in Vinoy Park narrowly misses St. Pete condos Plane crash in Vinoy Park narrowly misses St. Pete condos
4
Potential sites for Obama's presidential library and museum chosen Potential sites for Obama's presidential library and museum chosen
5
Judge OKs Jill Kelley privacy lawsuit Judge OKs Jill Kelley privacy lawsuit
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback