facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

30 children fall ill at Minnesota school, no carbon monoxide found

Feb. 6, 2014 at 11:23 PM   |   Comments

SPRINGFIELD, Minn., Feb. 6 (UPI) -- Thirty children fell ill at a Springfield, Minn., elementary school Thursday but no carbon monoxide -- as initially suspected -- was found, authorities said.

Kevin Burns, director of public affairs for Mayo Clinic Health System Springfield, said the 30 students were treated for nausea and headaches, the (New Ulm) Journal reported. All but one had been released by early evening, with the one child kept for observation, Burns said.

Springfield Fire Chief Charlie Baumann said a thorough check of the school building found no carbon monoxide as of 3:30 p.m. CST. He said officials planned to recheck the school again Friday morning before students and staff arrive.

Baumann said classes would likely start 2 hours late.

Springfield Police Chief John Nicholson told the newspaper the children became sick while rehearsing for a music program at the Springfield Public School auditorium. The children were fifth- and sixth-graders, he said.

Topics: Kevin Burns
© 2014 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Featured UPI Collection
trending
Notable deaths of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Notable deaths of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Most Popular
1
Ailina Tsarnaev, Boston Marathon bomber's sister, arrested over alleged bomb threat
2
Major general stripped of title over handling of sexual abuse allegation
3
Texas man acquitted of killing man who killed his sons in DUI
4
Russia 'directly involved' in Ukraine fighting, widens assault
5
Search for Aaron Sofer, missing N.J. student, expands in Israel
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback