facebook
twitter
search
search

30 children fall ill at Minnesota school, no carbon monoxide found

Feb. 6, 2014 at 11:23 PM

SPRINGFIELD, Minn., Feb. 6 (UPI) -- Thirty children fell ill at a Springfield, Minn., elementary school Thursday but no carbon monoxide -- as initially suspected -- was found, authorities said.

Kevin Burns, director of public affairs for Mayo Clinic Health System Springfield, said the 30 students were treated for nausea and headaches, the (New Ulm) Journal reported. All but one had been released by early evening, with the one child kept for observation, Burns said.

Springfield Fire Chief Charlie Baumann said a thorough check of the school building found no carbon monoxide as of 3:30 p.m. CST. He said officials planned to recheck the school again Friday morning before students and staff arrive.

Baumann said classes would likely start 2 hours late.

Springfield Police Chief John Nicholson told the newspaper the children became sick while rehearsing for a music program at the Springfield Public School auditorium. The children were fifth- and sixth-graders, he said.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Topics: Kevin Burns
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Texas man killed in apparent alligator attack
Police arrest N.C. soldier with assault rifle headed to mall photo shoot
North Korean biochemical weapons researcher defects to Europe
Four accused in slave-labor trafficking ring on Ohio egg farm
Fewer people consider themselves 'extremely proud' to be American than decade ago