JARRETSVILLE, Md., Feb. 4 (UPI) -- A girl, 10, was impaled in the back by a steel reinforcement bar while sledding after a snowfall in Jarretsville, Md., a county fire official said.
The unidentified child was hospitalized at a regional pediatric shock trauma unit about noon Monday, Hartford County Fire and EMS spokesman Rich Gardiner said.
She was found near her home "lying on her side on a little slope with a pierce of rebar sticking out of her," Jarretsville Fire Company Chief Rudy Walter said, a reference to the term used for steel rods inserted in concrete to reinforce it.
A reciprocating saw was used to cut the material away from the girl, "leaving a piece of about 6 inches hanging out of her," Walter added.
She underwent surgery to remove the metal, and is expected to recover, the Baltimore Sun reported Tuesday.
"We do get sledding accidents, but [usually] what happens is the child or an adult ran into a tree ... a building or they ran into another person. We get nothing that they are impaled," Walter said.