ATHENS, Ala., Feb. 3 (UPI) -- Cooking and food storage methods are likely to blame for a Salmonella outbreak at an Alabama church fundraiser, health officials said
The Alabama Department of Public Health released its final report Friday on the bad beans at Bean Day, a fundraiser held in October at First Baptist Church Family Life Center in Athens. The beans were soaked in a plastic-lined horse trough covered by plywood, the heath department report said.
It was unclear what the trough had been used for previously.
From there, the beans were not held steadily at high enough temperatures at various points in the cooking and serving process, making it possible for Salmonella bacteria to grow, the News Courier of Athens, Ala., reported.
In all, the health department said 47 people were hospitalized in the two days after the fundraiser and a survey of those in attendance found three more individuals who displayed symptoms.