facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Schoolgirl injured when iPhone catches fire in pants pocket

Feb. 1, 2014 at 2:44 PM   |   Comments

KENNEBUNK, Maine, Feb. 1 (UPI) -- A middle-school student in Maine was burned when her Apple iPhone, stashed in her pants pocket, caught fire as she sat down in a classroom, her mother says.

The incident occurred Friday morning at Middle School of the Kennebunks, the Portland Press Herald reported.

Judy Milligan, the girl's mother, said the 14-year-old was treated for second-degree burns at Southern Maine Medical Center in Biddeford.

"Immediately, smoke starts billowing from around the student," Jeff Rodman, the principal, said. "She knew right away something was wrong and, in a panic, knew her pants were on fire caused by the cellphone."

The girl had the presence of mind to "stop, drop and roll," causing the phone to fall out of her pocket and reducing her own injuries. But her pants were still burning.

Rodman said girls in the class helped the student get her pants off in a corner while getting the boys out of the room.

Milligan said her daughter wanted to return to school from the hospital but school officials advised her to take the rest of the day off. Milligan, who did not want her daughter's name in print, described her as "a calm person."

© 2014 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Featured UPI Collection
trending
Celebrity Couples of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Celebrity Couples of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Most Popular
1
Brady Morton's body discovered three days after Port Huron Float Down
2
Boko Haram overruns Nigerian police academy
3
Amanda Curtis launches Montana Senate campaign after Walsh bows out
4
Oil spill reported in North Dakota
5
U.S. attempted rescue of James Foley, ISIS demanded $132M ransom
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback