NEW ORLEANS, Jan. 27 (UPI) -- Former U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said the attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, was her "biggest regret" as the nation's top diplomat.
"My biggest, you know, regret is what happened in Benghazi," Clinton said when asked to identify what she would do over from her tenure as secretary of state during an appearance at the National Automobile Dealers Association Convention and Expo Monday in New Orleans.
"It was a terrible tragedy, losing four Americans, two diplomats and now it's public, so I can say two CIA operatives, losing an ambassador like Chris Stevens, who was one of our very best and had served in Libya and across the Middle East and spoke Arabic," she said during the NADA appearance.
"I mean, you know, you make these choices based on imperfect information," said Clinton, who's mulling whether to seek the Democratic presidential nomination. "And you make them to, as we say, the best of your ability. But that doesn't mean that there's not going to be unforeseen consequences, unpredictable twists and turns."
Clinton has voiced her regrets over the attack on the consulate in which Stevens and three other Americans were killed in other venues, such as a global town hall with young diplomats last year, the Hill reported.
Republicans have hammered Clinton over the death of Stevens and three other Americans in the Sept. 11, 2012, attack, using the event to whittle away at her record on national defense.