The suspect, whose name was not reported, was taken into custody at 8:10 p.m. Wednesday, the San Jose Mercury News reported.
Police said the suspect had been under surveillance for at least one day before he was arrested.
Little details on the investigation have been released. However, the suspect was allegedly caught on security cameras leaving the scenes of several of the fires.
Although no one was killed in the fires, one house that was set ablaze was occupied by a low-income couple in their 60s who barely escaped, the newspaper said.