facebook
twitter
search
search

Charred body of missing NYC real estate developer found in trash bin

Jan. 4, 2014 at 10:47 PM

GREAT NECK, N.Y., Jan. 4 (UPI) -- The charred body of a kidnapped New York City real estate developer was found in a trash bin on Long Island, police said Saturday.

The Nassau County Police Department said in a statement the smoldering remains of Menachem Stark, 39, who was abducted near his Brooklyn office Thursday night, were discovered by workers at a service station in Great Neck, the New York Times reported.

Surveillance video released by police showed Stark trying to fend off two men who overpowered him and put him in a van and then drove off, the newspaper said.

The Times said Stark, the married father of seven children who was well-known in the Hasidic Jewish community, was known to carry large amounts of cash. The newspaper said court records show he and his business partner, Israel Perlmutter, had been sued several times after defaulting on large loans and had filed for bankruptcy in 2009.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
North Korea blasts arrival of U.S. submarine in South Korean port
U.S. lottery lowers portion of cash allocated to jackpot prize
South Korea rescues 5 North Korean sailors
F-16, Cessna planes collide midair in South Carolina, killing two
Colorado court to hear baker's appeal over gay wedding cake