facebook
twitter
search
search

Michigan court delays order on juvenile paroles

Dec. 24, 2013 at 1:09 PM

DETROIT, Dec. 24 (UPI) -- Michigan's attorney general called a delay in the paroling of 350 juvenile offenders "an early Christmas gift" to their victims' families.

"Today's [Monday's] order is an early Christmas gift for families of murder victims who have been traumatized by the possible release of teenage murderers sentenced to life without parole," Attorney General Bill Schuette, said in a written statement Monday afternoon.

A federal appeals court earlier in the court delayed an earlier court order that would have resulted in the release of the inmates, who had been sentenced to life in prison for offenses committed for crimes committed when they were juveniles.

A 2012 U.S. Supreme Court ruling required Michigan to consider parole for violent juvenile offenders, the Detroit News said.

A federal judge on Nov. 26 ordered state officials to confirm that they would provide proof they would consider their eligibility for parole "in a meaningful and realistic manner."

The order was put on hold Monday so a new legal challenge could be heard. The state's challenge contended they were not given adequate time to comply with the November order.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
More than 80 percent of North Korean defectors are women, says report
Kenyan bishop warns Obama against pro-gay policy
Duma approves construction of $4 billion bridge to Crimea
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev seeking new trial for Boston Marathon bombing
Shark bites Camp Lejeune Marine on North Carolina coast