GRAND RAPIDS, Minn., Dec. 23 (UPI) -- A man who fell into a barrel of acid while at work Monday followed correct procedures and is recovering in a Grand Rapids, Mich., hospital, his employer said.
The man, 45, is a 10-year employee of Lacks Enterprises in Grand Rapids and was performing a maintenance function when he slipped and fell into a tank of diluted chromic acid, a toxic and carcinogenic element of the chrome-plating process, the news website MLive.com reported Monday.
It added only the man's legs were dunked in the acid.
Jim Green, human resources director of the firm, said the employee was wearing a safety harness and other appropriate equipment when the accident occurred, and fellow employees hosed the victim down according to protocol.
"I spoke to him personally today, and hope to be in touch with him again soon. We anticipate a full recovery," Green said of the employee's injuries.