One of the priests banished by Archbishop Charles Chaput had been cleared last year by an archdiocese review board, the Philadelphia Inquirer said Sunday.
The Rev. Michael Chapman had been accused of sexual abuse involving a minor. Within months of being cleared by the review board, a new accuser came forward, the newspaper said.
The details of the allegations against the other four priests were not revealed by the archdiocese. Two priests were cleared of wrongdoing, although the Inquirer said it was not known if they would return to their old parishes.