NEW YORK, Dec. 14 (UPI) -- Cantor Fitzgerald, which lost hundreds of employees in the 2001 terrorist attack in New York, and American Airlines have agreed to a settlement, lawyers said.
Cantor's lawsuit had been scheduled to go to trial next month in U.S. District Court in Manhattan. But Cantor's attorney, John Stoviak, told the judge Thursday the two sides had reached an agreement, the New York Times reported.
Cantor Fitzgerald L.P., which had its headquarters on four floors high in the north tower, lost 658 employees, more than any other company or government agency. The company originally sued American for more than $1 billion, an amount later cut by more than half, saying the airline shared responsibility for the hijacking of its plane.
Stoviak did not reveal the terms of the settlement, but they are expected to become public once a final agreement is in place.