NEWTOWN, Conn., Dec. 9 (UPI) -- Families of victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre in Connecticut gathered Monday to announce the creation of a website in their memory.
With the one-year anniversary of the shooting spree that left 26 children and staff dead just days away, the families said they would use the website to post personal remembrances, photos and links to charities started to honor their loved ones, the Hartford Courant reported.
The website is mysandyhookfamily.org.
"This website is intended to serve as a singular place of sharing, communication and contact with the families of those who lost their lives that day," said Krista Rekos, whose daughter Jessica was among the victims.
"In the midst of our grief we have come to realize that we want our loved ones to be remembered for the lives they lived and how they touched our hearts. We have been uplifted by the support of so many people and we would like to keep that spirit of unity alive in all we do to remember those we so dearly miss," Rekos said.
Newtown First Selectman Patricia Llodra asked reporters to stay away from the community this weekend.
"We were hurt very badly last year. ... We carry it with us, we're fully aware of our tragedy," Llodra said. "Please give us a chance to grow into that. ... We know who we are, we know that's our destiny."