facebook
twitter
search
search

Charges dropped in case of two children killed in N.C. wall collapse

Dec. 6, 2013 at 3:56 PM

LINCOLNTON, N.C., Dec. 6 (UPI) -- A judge has dismissed involuntary manslaughter charges against a North Carolina man for the death of his daughter and nephew in a wall collapse.

Jordan Keely Arwood of Stanley cried during the hearing Thursday in Lincoln County and refused to talk to the media afterwards, the Gastonia Gazette reported.

"He's still minus two in his family. He'll have to live with that for the rest of his life," his lawyer, Brad Smith, said.

Chloe Arwood, 6, and her cousin, Jordan Caldwell, 7, were killed in April in a hole Arwood had been digging near his mother's home in western North Carolina. Arwood, who planned to build a house next to his mother, had been excavating for several months.

During Thursday's hearing, Arwood's mother, Nancy Caldwell, testified that her son did not allow the children to play in the excavation. Prosecutors produced a photo from his cell phone, taken a few weeks before the children died, that showed them in the hole.

On April 7, the children apparently slipped into the hole without anyone noticing. Caldwell said she heard screams.

Hundreds of emergency workers dug frantically, in an effort to rescue the cousins. Their bodies were discovered hours later.

Superior Court Judge Ali Paksoy agreed with Smith that the deaths were accidental.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Islamic State re-captures part of key Kurdish-held border town in Syria
Demand for mobile phones in North Korea means two per household
Volcanic eruption alerts authorities in Japan
Girl Scouts chapter returns $100K donation that excluded transgender girls
More than 1,000 prisoners, some al-Qaida, escape Yemeni prison