account
search
search

Prosecutors agree to loosen access restrictions on Tsarnaev

  |   Dec. 4, 2013 at 1:03 PM
BOSTON, Dec. 4 (UPI) -- Prosecutors said they have agreed to loosen restrictions on alleged Boston marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev so he can have more access to his defense team.

The attorneys said in a court filing Tuesday they will add several defense team members to the list of people who are allowed to talk to Tsarnaev.

Two investigators, a paralegal, a mental health consultant and a mitigation specialist were added to the list, the Boston Globe reported.

The team members will report to the top four lawyers in the case.

Prosecutors also agreed to allow the mental health consultant and the mitigation specialist to speak to Tsarnaev without lawyers present, the filings indicate.

Tsarnaev, 20, will also be allowed to have multiple members of his defense team visit at the same time.

The restrictions, called special administration measures, were imposed at the prosecution's request to prohibit the defendant from sending out messages that could lead to violence.

Defense attorneys argued in previous filings the restrictions interfered with Tsarnaev's right to counsel.

Tsarnaev faces multiple charges in the bombings at the Boston marathon earlier this year, which killed three people and injured more than 260 people.

The charges carry the possibility of the death penalty, and U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder is set to decide whether prosecutors will seek that punishment by the end of January.

Related UPI Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
x
Feedback