facebook
twitter
search
search

Boston mob hit man convicted for 2 botched hit jobs

Nov. 21, 2013 at 1:42 PM

BOSTON, Nov. 21 (UPI) -- Boston mobster Enrico Ponzo, who had been on the lam for 16 years, has been found guilty in federal court in two botched hit jobs.

On Wednesday, Ponzo was convicted of racketeering conspiracy, murder conspiracy in aid of racketeering, firearm possession in relation to murder conspiracy, conspiracy to distribute cocaine, conspiracy to distribute marijuana, loansharking, being a fugitive from the law, money laundering, and attempted witness tampering, the Boston Herald reported.

Prosecutors said Ponzo, a hit man for the Boston Mafia, attempted and failed to kill New England mob boss Francis P. Salemme in 1989, and Joseph Cirame in 1994.

Both victims were shot and seriously injured.

Ponzo disappeared in 1994 after failing to appear in court on drug charges.

He was discovered in Idaho in 2011, working as a rancher under the name "Jay Shaw."

A sentencing hearing in the case has been scheduled for March 6.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Related UPI Stories
Topics: Marijuana
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Shark bite confirmed off North Carolina shore
Small plane crash kills two near Dallas
Oregon becomes fourth state to legalize recreational marijuana
Justice Department investigating airlines for alleged price fixing
AIIB can help North Korea give up nuclear weapons, South Korea says