facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search

U.S. reveals $10 million reward for information on Benghazi attack

Nov. 16, 2013 at 10:10 AM   |   Comments

WASHINGTON, Nov. 16 (UPI) -- A reward of up to $10 million has been quietly offered for tips about individuals who attacked the U.S. consulate in Libya in 2012, the State Department says.

In a letter to members of Congress, the department said the announcement of the reward had not posted on its "Rewards for Justice" website because of security issues around the investigation of the attack, Voice of America reported Saturday.

The Sept. 11, 2012, attack in Benghazi killed U.S. ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans.

The letter, sent Friday, was in response to questions by Rep. Michael McCaul, R-Texas, chair of the House Homeland Security Committee, and other members of Congress about why rewards were not being offered for information leading to the arrest or conviction of individuals involved in the attack, CNN reported.

The department said the reward had been offered since January.

U.S. authorities have filed charges in the case, but no one has been arrested.

The case was among the FBI's "very highest priorities," FBI Director James Comey told a Senate committee Thursday.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback