facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Bronx apartment fire caused by lit candle in kitchen

Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:12 PM   |   Comments

NEW YORK, Oct. 26 (UPI) -- A fire at a New York apartment that killed three young children was caused by a candle two days after the home's electricity was turned off, officials said.

Nearly a dozen fire vehicles responded to the blaze Friday night in a six-story building in the Bronx, The New York Times reported.

The dead children were identified as Elijah Artis, 5; Jeremiah Artis, 2; and Michael Turner, 4 months. Two girls aged 4 and 4 months, and a 25-year-old woman, were treated for smoke inhalation.

The woman and a toddler fled the apartment on the fire escape. A neighbor said she tried to re-enter the apartment, but was turned back by heavy smoke. Another person rescued another child.

FDNY spokesman Daniel Glover said the fire was accidental, caused by a candle in the kitchen area of the apartment.

Consolidated Edison spokesman Allan Drury told CNN the apartment's electricity had been turned off two days earlier.

"The account had a significant amount of arrears -- well into the thousands of dollars," he said. "We try to avoid turning service off to customers. We'll put them on payment plans to work with them to avoid turnoff, but this account had substantial arrears."

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Most Popular
1
Source: Ferguson cop beaten before shooting
2
Boko Haram overruns Nigerian police academy
3
Robert Hansen, notorious Alaska serial killer, dead at 75
4
Brady Morton's body discovered three days after Port Huron Float Down
5
Federal judge strikes down Florida gay marriage ban
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback