facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search

Bronx apartment fire caused by lit candle in kitchen

Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:12 PM   |   Comments

NEW YORK, Oct. 26 (UPI) -- A fire at a New York apartment that killed three young children was caused by a candle two days after the home's electricity was turned off, officials said.

Nearly a dozen fire vehicles responded to the blaze Friday night in a six-story building in the Bronx, The New York Times reported.

The dead children were identified as Elijah Artis, 5; Jeremiah Artis, 2; and Michael Turner, 4 months. Two girls aged 4 and 4 months, and a 25-year-old woman, were treated for smoke inhalation.

The woman and a toddler fled the apartment on the fire escape. A neighbor said she tried to re-enter the apartment, but was turned back by heavy smoke. Another person rescued another child.

FDNY spokesman Daniel Glover said the fire was accidental, caused by a candle in the kitchen area of the apartment.

Consolidated Edison spokesman Allan Drury told CNN the apartment's electricity had been turned off two days earlier.

"The account had a significant amount of arrears -- well into the thousands of dollars," he said. "We try to avoid turning service off to customers. We'll put them on payment plans to work with them to avoid turnoff, but this account had substantial arrears."

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
One cop issued 80 percent of the marijuana tickets in Seattle this year
2
Oklahoma shook by three earthquakes in less than 48 hours
3
Army receives first advanced CH-47F helicopter variant
4
Who is the 'Woman in Black' roaming U.S. highways?
5
Comic-Con cosplayer sexually assaulted, beaten and left in gutter
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback