facebook
twitter
search
search

Bronx apartment fire caused by lit candle in kitchen

Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:12 PM

NEW YORK, Oct. 26 (UPI) -- A fire at a New York apartment that killed three young children was caused by a candle two days after the home's electricity was turned off, officials said.

Nearly a dozen fire vehicles responded to the blaze Friday night in a six-story building in the Bronx, The New York Times reported.

The dead children were identified as Elijah Artis, 5; Jeremiah Artis, 2; and Michael Turner, 4 months. Two girls aged 4 and 4 months, and a 25-year-old woman, were treated for smoke inhalation.

The woman and a toddler fled the apartment on the fire escape. A neighbor said she tried to re-enter the apartment, but was turned back by heavy smoke. Another person rescued another child.

FDNY spokesman Daniel Glover said the fire was accidental, caused by a candle in the kitchen area of the apartment.

Consolidated Edison spokesman Allan Drury told CNN the apartment's electricity had been turned off two days earlier.

"The account had a significant amount of arrears -- well into the thousands of dollars," he said. "We try to avoid turning service off to customers. We'll put them on payment plans to work with them to avoid turnoff, but this account had substantial arrears."

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Kim Jong Un had terrapin farm manager executed, says source
More than 80 percent of North Korean defectors are women, says report
North Korea requests medical aid from U.N. agencies
Kenyan bishop warns Obama against pro-gay policy
Duma approves construction of $4 billion bridge to Crimea