UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

NTSB: Chicago 'ghost train' left powered up in storage yard

  |
 
Published: Oct. 5, 2013 at 1:57 AM

CHICAGO, Oct. 5 (UPI) -- The Chicago "ghost train" that ran through several stations with no one on board had been left in a yard powered up, federal investigators said Friday.

The National Transportation Safety Board recommended the Chicago Transit Authority take steps to prevent similar accidents, the Chicago Tribune reported.

More than 30 people were injured Monday when the ghost train rear-ended a Blue Line train stopped at a station. None of the injuries was serious.

The NTSB said trains are "routinely left powered-up while stored and with the brake setting that would allow movement.''

A source close to the investigation told the Tribune the train involved in the crash might have been sitting unoccupied and with power to the propulsion system for several days.

Investigators also said the train was stopped automatically several times by trip mechanisms.

"After each stop, the train started moving again because the master lever on the operator console had been left in a setting that allowed the train car brakes to recover and reset from the emergency brake application and proceed through a mechanical train stop mechanism after a momentary stop,'' the NTSB report said.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Next Story: Man charged with killing, cooking wife dies of cancer before trial
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional U.S. News Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
For some reason, McDonald's drive-thru employees don't like it when you show up wearing no pants...
Final assignment from dearly departed teacher. Uh, teacher, we're gonna need some extra time with...
Sir Bob Geldof, former Boomtown Rats front man says, All humans will die before 2030. So Dead-Aid,...
And those Hollywood nights / In those Hollywood hills / It was looking so right / It was giving...
Cute 25-year-old bartender gets her best tip yet: a Keno ticket worth $17,500. "The reaction (in...
Apparently the SEALs are "essential" employees because they were hard at work today in Libya and...