UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Defense Department ends shutdown for 400,000 workers

  |
 
Published: Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:43 PM

WASHINGTON, Oct. 5 (UPI) -- The U.S. Department of Defense said Saturday it is recalling nearly half of the 800,000 federal workers on furlough due to the government shutdown.

A Pentagon official said most of the department's furloughed workers -- the lion's share of about 400,000 workers sent home when the government was shut down Tuesday -- will be called back to work.

President Barack Obama signed a law just after the shutdown began that mandated military personnel -- about 1.4 million men and women in uniform -- would be paid during the shutdown. The law allowed the Defense Department to recall workers as it saw fit to do so, The Wall Street Journal reported.

"I'm not a lawyer, but I do have some appreciation for common sense, and common sense tells you that if you're working for the Department of Defense, you're supporting the defense and the security of America, and you're supporting those who are on the front lines," Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel said before the recall was announced.

The Journal said Democrats and Republicans had been urging Hagel to exercise his authority to recall workers.

Besides defense workers, there is a defense industry that also relies on a functioning federal government to keep men and women at work.

The Aerospace Industries Association said tens of thousands of private sector workers could be laid off if the shutdown persists.

Topics: Barack Obama, Chuck Hagel
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Next Story: Undercover officer was with bikers when driver pulled from SUV, beaten
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional U.S. News Stories
Video
1 of 16
2013 Presidents Cup played at Muirfield Village Golf Club in Dublin, Ohio
View Caption
Former U.S. President George W. Bush (C) points to the crowd as he stands on the first tee box at the 2013 Presidents Cup at Muirfield Village Golf Club in Dublin, Ohio on October 3, 2013. UPI/Brian Kersey
fark
Sir Bob Geldof, former Boomtown Rats front man says, All humans will die before 2030. So Dead-Aid,...
And those Hollywood nights / In those Hollywood hills / It was looking so right / It was giving...
Cute 25-year-old bartender gets her best tip yet: a Keno ticket worth $17,500. "The reaction (in...
Apparently the SEALs are "essential" employees because they were hard at work today in Libya and...
Brazilian election shaping up to be a three-way race between the Socialist Party, Workers' Party,...
Photoshop this red spot