UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Shutdown 'disrespectful,' say senior military officials

Senior military officials gave emotional accounts of the negative effect of the government shutdown-induced furloughs on their workforce, many of who are still reeling from the effect of furloughs due to sequestration.
  |
 
Lt. Gen. Raymond Mason talks to Congresswoman Madeleine Bordallo, D-Guam, October 4, 2013. (Tanvi Misra/MNS/UPI)
Lt. Gen. Raymond Mason talks to Congresswoman Madeleine Bordallo, D-Guam, October 4, 2013. (Tanvi Misra/MNS/UPI)
Published: Oct. 4, 2013 at 10:10 AM
By Tanvi Misra -- Medill News Service

WASHINGTON -- Top military officials told a House military readiness subcommittee Wednesday that government shutdown-induced furloughs of civilian defense workers send "a pretty poor signal" to employees still reeling from the effects of the sequestration cuts.

“Words such as ‘disrespectful’ come to mind,” said Marine Corps Lt. Gen. William M. Faulkner, deputy commandant for installation and logistics. Lt. Gen. Raymond Mason, deputy chief of staff of the Army, talked of the pain of looking into the eyes of his civilian employees as he told them, many of whom were still recovering financially from earlier cost-cutting furloughs, that they were furloughed under the shutdown.

“Compounding of the furlough from last year and now this year is an issue,” he said, adding that because of the closing of the commissaries, many military families would lose about 30 percent of their savings.

“They’re our teammates,” he said, “I feel like I’ve abandoned my workforce and that’s not a good place to be.”

Faulkner said he was worried about losing good recruits. “We’re going to have a lot of people who are going to walk because there are a lot of other opportunities out there if they’re disrespected like this.”

The committee wanted to hear from Faulkner and Mason about the risks to military readiness posed by the across-the-board federal budget cuts required under sequestration.

Mason said funding cuts directly hurt three areas: readiness, modernization and the workforce.

The first place the Pentagon goes to cut Army spending is bases “because that’s the money that’s readily available,” he said.

By cutting back on new equipment and technology, “we’re risking the future, we’re risking it now,” Mason said.

He said restrictions on hiring and overtime combined with previous furloughs for civilian employees of the “continue to negatively affect productivity.”

Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional U.S. News Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
For some reason, McDonald's drive-thru employees don't like it when you show up wearing no pants...
Final assignment from dearly departed teacher. Uh, teacher, we're gonna need some extra time with...
Sir Bob Geldof, former Boomtown Rats front man says, All humans will die before 2030. So Dead-Aid,...
And those Hollywood nights / In those Hollywood hills / It was looking so right / It was giving...
Cute 25-year-old bartender gets her best tip yet: a Keno ticket worth $17,500. "The reaction (in...
Apparently the SEALs are "essential" employees because they were hard at work today in Libya and...