UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Father of missing Baby Kate charged with her murder

  |
 
Published: Oct. 4, 2013 at 11:50 PM

LUDINGTON, Mich., Oct. 4 (UPI) -- The father of a baby girl who disappeared in 2011 in Michigan was charged Friday with her murder.

Sean Michael Phillips, 23, appeared at his arraignment in Mason County by video link from the Carson City Correctional Facility, the Muskegon Chronicle reported. He was convicted last year of falsely imprisoning 4-month-old Katherine Phillips and sentenced to 15 to 20 years.

"New evidence has been discovered which supports a murder charge in this case," Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette said at a news conference in Mason County.

Schuette and Mason County Prosecutor Paul Spaniola did not give any details.

Katherine, who has become known as "Baby Kate," was last seen on June 29, 2011. A letter allegedly written by Phillips last year to the baby's mother, Ariel Courtland, said the death was accidental and the baby was in "a peaceful place."

This June, volunteers searched wooded areas, trying to find combinations of plants and soil that matched material found on Phillips' shoes.

Courtland and members of her family attended the news conference, although she did not speak to reporters. Mason County is a rural area on the Lake Michigan shore of the lower peninsula.

"It's been a long time coming. I'm glad they're going to charge him with murder, because that's what he did," Courtland's grandmother, Linda Carlson, said.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Next Story: Tropical Storm Karen weakening over Gulf of Mexico
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional U.S. News Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
For some reason, McDonald's drive-thru employees don't like it when you show up wearing no pants...
Final assignment from dearly departed teacher. Uh, teacher, we're gonna need some extra time with...
Sir Bob Geldof, former Boomtown Rats front man says, All humans will die before 2030. So Dead-Aid,...
And those Hollywood nights / In those Hollywood hills / It was looking so right / It was giving...
Cute 25-year-old bartender gets her best tip yet: a Keno ticket worth $17,500. "The reaction (in...
Apparently the SEALs are "essential" employees because they were hard at work today in Libya and...