UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Investigators try to sort out biker road-rage beating in New York City

  |
 
Published: Oct. 2, 2013 at 3:22 PM

NEW YORK, Oct. 2 (UPI) -- New York police are trying to sort out a road-rage incident between a group of motorcyclists and a driver who sped off after a fender bender.

Alexian Lien, who hit one of the bikers with his Range Rover as he sped away Sunday, said he feared for the safety of his family, the New York Post reported Wednesday. So far, he has not been charged.

The bikers, who were participating in an annual ride around New York, eventually caught up with Lien, pulled him from his vehicle and beat him.

One of the bikers, Christopher Cruz of Passaic, N.J., 28, has been charged with endangering the welfare of a child -- Lien's young daughter -- and reckless driving. But sources in the Manhattan district attorney's office concede the case against him is weak, the Post said, suggesting he was charged mostly because of public pressure.

Edwin Mieses of Lawrence, Mass., an audio engineer who was in New York for the motorcycle ride, was critically injured when he was struck by the Range Rover. His wife, Dayana Mejia, told ABC News she thinks Lien has been getting a pass.

"I blame him. And what I even blame him more for is he's out, he's not even charged, and he's the 'victim,'" Mejia said.

Mejia said her husband's spine was crushed, he has many broken ribs and he is paralyzed from the waist down, possibly permanently.

Investigators are studying videotape of the chase and Lien's beating and are trying to identify the bikers who appear to be most responsible, the Post said.

Topics: Range Rover
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional U.S. News Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
Not news: Home Depot fired employees to cut costs during hard economic times. News: They targeted...
Over the years Nobel laureates have used their prize money on everything from upgrading a motorbike...
Photoshop this off-course submarine
Don't have the heart to tell your bride and her parents that you forgot to book the hall for the...
Can we have a R.I.P. for the country's oldest Medal of Honor recipient? He was just a Bayonne guy...
Deputies searching for the two men who climbed through a McDonald's drive-thru and robble robbled...