facebook
twitter
search
search

Chemical spill prompts high rise evacuation

Oct. 1, 2013 at 2:45 PM

ST. PAUL, Minn., Oct. 1 (UPI) -- A janitor in Minnesota accidentally mixed sulfuric acid and chlorine, prompting emergency personnel to evacuate a high rise and close the street, police said.

The janitor was being treated for chest pains and trouble breathing Tuesday afternoon. The incident took place about 7:30 a.m., the St. Paul (Minn.) Pioneer-Press reported.

About 30 firefighters entered the building at 340 Cedar St., in St. Paul, which houses the 340 Hotel and the St. Paul Athletic Club, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reported.

No other injuries were reported, though a fire captain said it would "take a while" for a hazmat team to remove the chemicals and ventilate the area where the chemicals were mixed.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Wisconsin's Walker in hot seat over open-records restrictions
Greek economy reaches low point on eve of referendum
9 injured when fireworks explode in crowd
Reddit moderators revolt after popular employee dismissed
Chinese stock markets continue declines