facebook
twitter
search
search

SoCal wildfire reported 30 percent contained

Sept. 24, 2013 at 6:07 PM

AZUSA, Calif., Sept. 24 (UPI) -- Fire officials said a wildfire in Angeles National Forest near Azusa, Calif., was 30 percent contained Tuesday and full containment is expected in about a week.

At 12:30 p.m. PDT Tuesday, fire officials said the Madre fire had burned about 250 acres. People who had evacuated a handful of homes Monday after the fire broke out have been told they may return to their homes, the U.S. Forest Service said.

Fire officials said the homes were not immediately threatened and protection had been erected around 25 homes, KABC-TV, Los Angeles, reported.

Forest Service spokesman Nathan Judy said wind in the region would be "a concern" Tuesday, as well as relatively low humidity.

The fire broke out about 6 p.m. Monday.

Almost 450 firefighters are involved in the operation, the Los Angeles Times reported.

The U.S. Forest Service said full containment is expected by Oct. 2.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
Chelsea Clinton accidentally calls Bernie 'President Sanders'
Watch every star-studded Super Bowl commercial of 2016
Susan Sarandon responds to Piers Morgan criticizing cleavage
Two Virginia Tech students plotted 13-year-old's death, prosecutors said
Colin Powell, Condoleezza Rice got classified email on private accounts