At 12:30 p.m. PDT Tuesday, fire officials said the Madre fire had burned about 250 acres. People who had evacuated a handful of homes Monday after the fire broke out have been told they may return to their homes, the U.S. Forest Service said.
Fire officials said the homes were not immediately threatened and protection had been erected around 25 homes, KABC-TV, Los Angeles, reported.
Forest Service spokesman Nathan Judy said wind in the region would be "a concern" Tuesday, as well as relatively low humidity.
The fire broke out about 6 p.m. Monday.
Almost 450 firefighters are involved in the operation, the Los Angeles Times reported.
The U.S. Forest Service said full containment is expected by Oct. 2.
Video of Victoria’s Secret models trying to 'twerk' hits Instagram
Wisconsin business offering 'therapeutic cuddling' forced to close