LITTLE ROCK, Ark., Sept. 18 (UPI) -- A baby was delivered by Caesarian section at an Arkansas hospital shortly after his mother was bitten by a venomous snake, the new parents say.
Angie Justice was only given anti-venin after the delivery, KTHV-TV in Little Rock reported Tuesday.
Justice was bitten Sept. 9 on the deck of her house. She and her husband, Colby, believe the snake was a copperhead, a pit viper that can deliver a fatal dose of venom but that is responsible for few deaths in the United States.
"I was barefoot and I was on the deck and I walked real close to this flower pot that we have and I didn't notice the snake was there until it bit my pinkie toe," Justice said.
Her husband said the snake vanished underneath the deck and he decided getting his wife to the hospital was more important than pursuing it.
Corbin Justice was delivered shortly thereafter at about 36 weeks. His mother said he is doing well after spending several days on a ventilator.