facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Man in custody after White House firecracker incident

Sept. 16, 2013 at 11:27 PM   |   Comments

| License Photo
WASHINGTON, Sept. 16 (UPI) -- A man was taken into custody after allegedly setting off a firecracker outside the North Lawn of the White House Monday, authorities said.

Secret Service spokesman George Ogilvie told Politico the suspect in custody was Alexander Sahagian.

Sahagian, 52, had not been charged.

Politico said the Secret Service was seen handcuffing a white man with dark hair and wearing a blue shirt with light-colored shorts.

The incident, which occurred about 6:30 p.m. EDT just a few miles from the Washington Navy Yard where a deadly shooting spree took place earlier in the day, prompted police to shut down 2 blocks of 17th Street NW and a block of Pennsylvania Avenue on the northwest side of the White House.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
School accused of using girl as rape bait; girl gets attacked School accused of using girl as rape bait; girl gets attacked
2
Man who raped pit bull puppy sentenced to five years in prison Man who raped pit bull puppy sentenced to five years in prison
3
40 Islamic State fighters killed in U.S. air strike 40 Islamic State fighters killed in U.S. air strike
4
Man beaten to death with barbell in San Francisco gym Man beaten to death with barbell in San Francisco gym
5
Playboy Magazine names UPenn top party school for 2014 Playboy Magazine names UPenn top party school for 2014
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback