UPI en Espanol
facebook
twitter
account
search
search

Man in custody after White House firecracker incident

Sept. 16, 2013 at 11:27 PM
| License Photo

WASHINGTON, Sept. 16 (UPI) -- A man was taken into custody after allegedly setting off a firecracker outside the North Lawn of the White House Monday, authorities said.

Secret Service spokesman George Ogilvie told Politico the suspect in custody was Alexander Sahagian.

Sahagian, 52, had not been charged.

Politico said the Secret Service was seen handcuffing a white man with dark hair and wearing a blue shirt with light-colored shorts.

The incident, which occurred about 6:30 p.m. EDT just a few miles from the Washington Navy Yard where a deadly shooting spree took place earlier in the day, prompted police to shut down 2 blocks of 17th Street NW and a block of Pennsylvania Avenue on the northwest side of the White House.

Related UPI Stories
Top Stories
John Nash and wife, subjects of 'A Beautiful Mind' film, dead in crash
Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio requests new judge and public assistance with legal fees
Islamic State says it can soon buy nuclear weapon, smuggle it into U.S.
Malaysia finds mass graves with possibly 'hundreds of skeletons'
Department of Justice releases drone guidelines; protects privacy