facebook
twitter
search
search

Man in custody after White House firecracker incident

Sept. 16, 2013 at 11:27 PM
| License Photo

WASHINGTON, Sept. 16 (UPI) -- A man was taken into custody after allegedly setting off a firecracker outside the North Lawn of the White House Monday, authorities said.

Secret Service spokesman George Ogilvie told Politico the suspect in custody was Alexander Sahagian.

Sahagian, 52, had not been charged.

Politico said the Secret Service was seen handcuffing a white man with dark hair and wearing a blue shirt with light-colored shorts.

The incident, which occurred about 6:30 p.m. EDT just a few miles from the Washington Navy Yard where a deadly shooting spree took place earlier in the day, prompted police to shut down 2 blocks of 17th Street NW and a block of Pennsylvania Avenue on the northwest side of the White House.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Pilot in Taiwan plane crash shut down wrong engine, black boxes show
Texas police body cam video shows fatal shooting
Law enforcement gives 'all clear' after U.S. Navy Yard lockdown
Talks with NKorea come with conditions, says White House advisor
North Korea seeks help from Iran in battle against drought