HARTFORD, Conn., Sept. 10 (UPI) -- Prosecutors declined to sign arrest warrants alleging sexual abuse by a Connecticut same-sex couple, saying police need to investigate the matter further.
The case against George Harasz and his partner David Wirth has been a complicated one. The two men have adopted nine boys from three sibling groups through the Connecticut Department of Children and Families. Some of the children have brought allegations of ongoing sexual abuse while others say the accusers are lying and have stood by their adoptive fathers.
Prosecutor Anthony Bochicchio said new allegations of sex abuse, which surfaced at a court hearing in April, came after the men had reached a plea deal with prosecutors that would have granted them suspended sentences on a single charge each of risk of injury to a minor. The judge allowed the men to vacate their pleas after the new allegations surfaced.
Harasz and Wirth, of Glastonbury, Conn., have steadfastly denied any abuse took place.
Bochicchio said in April police needed to review the matter more closely. Since then some of those allegations were deemed not credible. The most recent allegations against the two men were made in July and prosecutors said they, too, still require more investigation, resulting in Bochicchio's decision not to sign the arrest warrants, The Hartford (Conn.) Courant said.
Initially, Harasz was charged with two counts of first-degree sexual assault, aggravated first-degree sexual assault, fourth-degree sexual assault, two counts of risk of injury to a minor and cruelty to persons. Wirth initially was charged with third-degree sexual assault and risk of injury to a minor.