UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Aaron Hernandez pleads not guilty to murder charge

  |
 
Published: Sept. 6, 2013 at 6:43 PM

FALL RIVER, Mass., Sept. 6 (UPI) -- Former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez pleaded not guilty Friday in Massachusetts to the murder of Odin Lloyd and other charges.

During a 15-minute hearing in Fall River, Hernandez, 24, responded "not guilty" six times, The Boston Globe reported. In addition to first-degree murder, Hernandez faces weapons charges.

Hernandez was arrested after Lloyd's body was discovered in an industrial park not far from the football star's home in North Attleboro, Mass. Investigators say Hernandez, working with two childhood friends from Connecticut, Ernest Wallace and Carlos Ortiz, drove Lloyd, a semi-professional football player, from his home in Boston's Dorchester neighborhood to North Attleboro, where Lloyd was shot in the industrial park.

Lloyd had been a friend of Hernandez, but police believe the two had had a falling out.

Charles Rankin, a defense lawyer, said news reports on the case have relied heavily on unnamed sources.

"We're confident that at the end of the trial Aaron will be exonerated,'' Rankin said.

Hernandez is being held without bail. His lawyers said they were not seeking a change in his status but might apply for bail later.

Bristol County District Attorney C. Samuel Sutter said he would oppose any move for Hernandez's release before trial.

Hernandez, who grew up in Bristol, Conn., was drafted by the Patriots in 2010 after his junior year at the University of Florida. The Patriots released him after his arrest in June.

Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional U.S. News Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
Those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it department: Criminals still return to the...
Healthcare.gov works great if you take away all those damn people wanting to sign up for it, says...
"Making tea is not like some fast fling in the back of a car. That's what coffee is for. Tea is...
Coffee is better than sex? On what grounds?
Police reveal greatest crime fighting weapon yet - Simon Cowell and dancing celebrities
Congratulations to Steve Jobs. Two years cancer free